The MMO “Blade and Soul” was released Monday for PC, and it has players excited (especially members of the WTFGamersOnly team). If you want to find out more about this martial arts MMO, come check out this article!
Blade and Soul is an MMO from NCSoft that follows your characters story after your dojo and master are brutally attacked and killed by Jinsoyun. After this attack, you decide to use what was once a peaceful knowledge of martial arts to enact your vengeance and stop Jinsoyun from destroying the world (a pretty typical MMO plot, but it’s still enough to get the ball rolling).
The game currently has two warring factions: The Cerulean Order and The Crimson Legion. Similarl to other MMOs, these two factions inherently hate each other because their ideals are opposites. The Cerulean Order is all about order and unity, while The Crimson Legion is all about individual freedoms and liberties. You align yourself with one of these factions in order to get stronger, so pick whichever one seems more fun to you (or just whichever one all your homies are playing on).
The game also features four different races: Gon, Lyn, Yun, and Jin. The Gon are your big, burly brawlers that look like they really could break a mountain with one punch. The Lyn are adorable little humanoids with animal ears that look equally adorable and fierce at the same time. The Yun are an all female race, so they are pretty badass. Yun females are in tune with the rhythm and flow of the planet, they are just as beautiful as they are deadly. Finally, the Jin are pretty plain looking and seem to be the most populous race, however they are obviously just as powerful as the other races. Each race can only choose from three of the seven classes, so take that into consideration when picking your race.
The combat system is where the true beauty of Blade and Soul shines bright and true. Focusing on timing, counters, and combos, Blade and Soul delivers a unique and challenging system that is easy to learn and rewards players for mastering it. Couple the combat system with seven different classes to play as, and there is a lot for players to try, learn, and master in the world of Blade and Soul.
The seven different classes to choose from are: Blade Master, Destroyer, Summoner, Force Master, Kung Fu Master, Assassin, and Blade Dancer.
- Blade Masters- Rely on high attack speed, lots of dodge/parrying, and constant movement around the enemy.
- Destroyer- Your tanks; they hit hard, taunt, and devastate their enemies.
- Summoner- Uses a familiar, allowing your pet to go into the thick of the action while you cast spells from a safe distance.
- Force Master- Your long range spell slingers; be careful, they tend to be squishy.
- Kung Fu Master- Great for blocking and then countering enemy attacks, however only recommended for experts. Requires a lot of attention.
- Assassin- Your typical assassin/rouge class. Uses stealth, traps, and sneak attacks to deal devastating damage.
- Blade Dancer- Rapid attack speed, high mobility, heavy hitting, but sacrifices defense. Similar to Blade Master, but exclusive to the Lyn race.
Blade and Soul is PC exclusive, free to play, and out now. So go give it a try! Hopefully we’ll see you in Blade and Soul soon!