D&D Live from Metldown was a preview for the future of Dungeons and Dragons and what the latests story arc in the epic roleplaying game would be. With special guests, new announcements of shows, stories and sourcebooks we can look forward to, we learned quite a bit about what’s to come in the D&D universe. Here’s what we know about the next adventure reveal, as we will soon embrace the Storm King’s Thunder! You can watch a recap of D&D Live from Meltdown below as well for the full scope!
With the release of the fifth edition of D&D, we’ve explored the Mines of Phandelver, defeated the Tyranny of Dragons, defended against the Rise of Tiamat, fought through the Elemental Evil, traveled through the Underdark as we fought the Rage of Demons, and most recently faced off against Strahd as he has made his return in the latests adventure released, Curse of Strahd. Finally, we’ve got some information on what the next adventure will encompass for our characters, and that’s Storm King’s Thunder.
We’ve come full circle with Storm King’s Thunder as we will be taking on GIANTS!
“Hill giants are stealing all the grain and livestock they can while stone giants have been scouring settlements that have been around forever. Fire giants are press-ganging the smallfolk into the desert, while frost giant longships have been pillaging along the Sword Coast. Even the elusive cloud giants have been witnessed, their wondrous floating cities appearing above Waterdeep and Baldur’s Gate. Where is the storm giant King Hekaton, who is tasked with keeping order among the giants?”
“The humans, dwarves, elves, and other small folk of the Sword Coast will be crushed underfoot from the onslaught of these giant foes. The only chance at survival is for the small folk to work together to investigate this invasion and harness the power of rune magic, the giants’ weapon against their ancient enemy the dragons. The only way the people of Faerun can restore order is to use the giants’ own power against them.”
The only way to be viable in the fight is through Rune Magic!
“Ancient and Powerful Rune magic is an ancient practice that allows giants, and anyone else who masters the runes of power, to grant magical properties to an object by scribing a rune on to it. People who use runes are called runecasters”
“Runes are at their strongest when scribed into objects that difficult or dangerous to acquire. Exotic, rare, and expensive objects can channel greater magic from a rune, but to truly empower a rune, a runecaster must seek the bones of powerful monsters, rare and valuable treasures, and materials found only in deadly dungeons or the outer planes to produce the rune’s most powerful effects.”
“But there is danger in working with runes. The giants have cataloged some of the interactions between runes and various objects, but many more remain undiscovered, and unexpected results have been known to produce catastrophic effects.”
You can check out more information on the official D&D website HERE and of course in the above video!
A quick rundown of all the announcements from D&D Live from Meltdown are as follows:
- Storm King’s Thunder, the newest D&D adventure will feature Giants.
- Storm King’s Thunder will be available in gaming stores and digitally on fantasy Grounds on August 26th.
- Storm King’s Thunder will be available as a hardcover on September 6th.
- Volo’s Guide to Monsters comes later this fall.
- Neverwinter: Storm King’s Thunder will be available on PC in August, with Xbox One & PS4 versions coming later.
- Wiz Kids Giant miniatures are coming this September, while Gale Force 9 D&D miniatures are coming this fall for the adventure.
- Acquisitions Incorporated the series (featuring Chris Perkins) premieres Monday’s this summer on Penny-Arcade.com (With a preview of Storm King’s Thunder)
- Force Grey: Giant Hunters – Matthew Mercer’s new D&D adventure set in the story of Storm King’s Thunder premieres this summer on Nerdist.com (another preview of Storm King’s Thunder) [Fans of Critical Role have a lot to look forward to with this one].
There’s so much to look forward to, what are you excited about for the latest adventure of D&D? Is Storm King’s Thunder what you expected it to be? Let us know in the comments below, as well as on Twitter and Facebook!