We are just two weeks away from the release of Splatoon 2 on the Switch, and while prospective buyers already knew much, much was not revealed. But now, following a Splatoon 2 Direct, we now have a lot more information! Let’s go over it, fellow Squid Kids!
Returning from the original, is the ability to purchase gear with stats and of course, with style. This is now done in a new area called the “Galleria”, and most of the shopkeepers are completely new! There is one returning character however:
Yes, Sheldon is back, selling weapons to all the inklings! What’s that? You hated how long he would go on about his weapons? Guess what? If you ever feel that he’s talking too much, you can now fast-forward his text, and get to splatting with your new toy!
By now, many Splatoon fans already know the weapons of the new installment. But we got the announcements of some new ones. Here they are, and what they do:
- Clash Blaster, a blaster-type weapon that has a short range compared to other blaster weapons, but has a higher firing rate.
- Flingza Roller, a roller-type weapon that flings ink fast horizontally. Vertically, it flings ink slow, but at a higher range.
- Goo Tuber, a charger-type weapon that can store charges for a long time!
- Dapple Dualies, Dualie-type weapons that perform lightning-quick dodge rolls!
As for new Sub-Weapons…
- Autobombs track opponents after being deployed!
- Toxic Mist traps opponents in, well, a toxic mist, though it is currently unclear what the mist actually does for now.
And finally, special weapons. All the special weapons are new compared to the first Splatoon, though most have already been revealed already. But we do have some never-before-seen specials revealed!
- Ink Storm, which creates a storm of Ink above opponents!
- Bomb Launcher, which allows you to launch a barrage of bombs!
- Ink Armor, which grants all allies armor for a limited time. This armor completely nullifies a single attack, regardless of power.
- Baller, which allows you to roll around in an explosive hamster ball. Before you explode, you can roll anywhere, even up walls!
We also got some fresh new info regarding the online modes!
- Each ranked mode has their own individual rank!
- Do really well, and you may be able to climb two ranks! Say goodbye to the slow grind to the top…IF you’re good enough.
- League Battles allow you to create or join teams to gain prestige in rank battles during a certain period of time.
Just like in the first game, your gear has abilities, and we got to hear about many new abilities!
- Thermal Ink, which allows you to track enemies you have hit with your main weapon.
- Object Shredder, which increases damage against non-player based objects such as the inkwall weapon.
- Quick Respawn, which allows you to respawn quickly if you didn’t splat anybody.
- Respawn Punisher, which increases respawn, but inflicts a penalty on the special gauge of the one who splatted you.
- Drop Roller, allowing you to roll after you have landed at your spawn point. Take that, spawn-checkers!
Interested in the newest mode of Splatoon 2? You can find a breakdown of most of the features in this mode here. However, just a few new tidbits were also revealed in the Splatoon 2 Direct:
- Salmon Run is conducted on an island of harmful water…and sometimes that water will rise, lessening the playing field.
- At night, the salmon will get faster, and conduct an all-out attack, so watch out!
- You can earn exclusive gear from doing well in Salmon Run!
A new online service for mobile devices for Splatoon 2! This service allows you to track stages currently in play, your own personal stats, and even send gear to the galleria! This service is available through the Nintendo Switch Online app, which allows for voice chat and matchmaking.
Other New Additions
- In the absence of Miiverse, players can now submit drawings or messages through an in-game feature. Like in the first game, the drawings will show up all through the city, and can even be uploaded to social media!
- The former Shoe Salesman Crusty Sean now serves food that can provide all sorts of benefits, such as increased exp.
- A club known as The Shoal allows players to create local matches with other switch owners, either through wireless, or LAN play.
- A full rhythm game is available!
Like in the first game, new updates will be added to the game as free DLC! Among these:
- The Splat Brella weapon, a Blaster that can deploy an umbrella to block front attacks!
- The Bubble Blower Special, which fires exploding bubbles all around!
- New Gear, Stages, and even more new weapons!
In addition to all this, Splatfests will also return! Speaking of Splatfests….
The last Splatfests featured Inkopolis in festival with the Squid Sisters performing. But wait, with Callie MIA and Marie leading the fight against the Octarians, who is in charge of Splafests this time?
Yes, these two will be the new ones representing Splatfests, as well as talking to players when they start the game, like how the Squid Sisters used to. As for the first Splatfest, it will be Ice Cream Vs. Cake! And when can players play this Splatfest? On July 15th, a week before the game launches! Players can download a special demo to play the Splatfest before the game even launches, so get ready to support your team!
What was your favorite announcement from the direct? Let us know in the comments, and @wtfgamersonly on all social media, or to me on twitter!