So many things come in the latest Overwatch update for consoles. A lot of the update brings welcome changes including, a new mode in Deathmatch, a new map, character buffs, and changes to competitive play. Let’s dive into all the new Overwatch information to see what’s changed on console.
First up: Arcade Deathmatch & Team Deathmatch
“In Deathmatch, eight players go head-to-head until one player scores 20 points. Players will earn 1 point whenever they land the final blow on an opponent and will lose 1 point whenever they die to environmental damage (ex: falling off a cliff) or self-inflicted damage. This scoring will be tracked in a brand-new scoreboard. The first player to 20 points wins!”
“In Team Deathmatch, two teams of four players face off until one team scores 30 points. Players will earn 1 point for their team whenever they land the final blow on an opponent and will lose 1 point for their team whenever they die to environmental damage (ex: falling off a cliff) or self-inflicted damage. If players are resurrected before they respawn, the corresponding point for their death will be deducted from the enemy team’s score. This scoring will be tracked in our default scoreboard. The first team to 30 points wins!”
Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch will be played out on existing maps, with play being placed in specific areas on each map (think Capture the Flag style) and special respawn specifications. The addition though is a new Deathmatch map.
New Map: Château Guillard
“Château Guillard is located near Annecy in southeastern France. For hundreds of years, it was the estate of the influential Guillard family, until it gradually fell into disrepair after the family’s power waned in the decades after the Revolution. Recently, the château has found a new owner: the Talon agent Widowmaker, who has returned to her family’s ancestral home.”
Junkrat: The first update goes to Junkrat, and here are his improvements.
- Junkrat can now hold two mines
- Rip-Tire’s movement has been increased by 30%
- Rip-Tire no longer has a time limit when wall climbing
- Her Fusion Drive Projectile speed is increased by 20%
- Her Protective Barrier size is increased by 20%
- Her Barrier shape has changed to allow for more coverage
- His “Take a Breather” can now be used while moving
- Damage taken while healing has been reduced by 50%
- Her Grappling Hook cooldown has been reduced to 8 seconds from 12 seconds
- Targets affected by the Venom Mine are now visible to Widowmaker through walls
Competitive Play Changes
- Competitive Play has been reduced to two months
- Control Maps are now won for best 2-of-3 instead of best 3-of-5 (as it is now)
- Fewer Competitive Points will be rewarded at the end of each season (due to the shortened length)
- More points will be rewarded for wins (15) or ties (5)
- Skill Rating Decay has been reduced
- Inactive players in Diamond tier or above now lose 25 skill rating per day (down from 50)
- Players in Diamond OR BELOW can lose their rating if their skill rating drops below the minimum requirement.
- Player skill ratings will no longer be temporarily lowered at the beginning of the season
There you have it. All the biggest updates coming to console in the latest patch available NOW. Download it and enjoy.
You can check out all of the actual Overwatch Patchnotes HERE