Star Wars: Episode IX, the last film to the Skywalker Saga, is set to be filmed at Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018, and today, the cast has been announced.
The returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd.
Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, reprising his role as Lando Calrissian, are returning to Star Wars: Episode IX. Lastly, Naomi Ackie, Richard E. Grant, and Keri Russell will be joining the last film to the Skywalker Saga.
As for Leia Organa, she will be played by Carrie Fisher through the use of previously unreleased footage originally shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. According to Abrams, this can only be done with the support and blessing from Billie Lourd as a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and her role as Leia.
The producers and crew for Episode IX are:
- Producer: Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan
- Executive Producer: Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin
- Director of Photography: Dan Mindel
- Co-Production Designers: Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins
- Costume Designer: Michael Kaplan
- Creature and Droid FX: Neal Scanlan
- Editors: Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube
- VFX Supervisor: Roger Guyett
- 1st AD: Tommy Gormley
- 2nd Unit Director: Victoria Mahoney
Lastly, John Williams will be returning to compose the score for Episode IX.
Star Wars: Episode IX will be directed by J.J. Abrams and the screenplay will be written by J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio. Episode IX is set to be released in December 2019.