Zarya is the first character from Blizzard’s upcoming game Overwatch that I will be writing about in my in depth look into Overwatch. Included will be an overview of Zarya’s abilities, information, and a little background information on her character. There will also be some insight into how she will fit into a team’s overall synergy, how to use her abilities in a team fight, and predictions on who she will play well with.
- Role: Tank
- Real Name: Aleksandra Zaryanova
- Age: 28
- Occupation: Soldier
- Base of Operations: Krasnoyarsk Front, Russia
- Affiliation: Russian Defense Forces
Aleksandra was born in a remote Siberian village and was a child during the Omnic Crisis. In a surge of love for her people, she swore to grow stronger and stronger in order to help her people recover from the destruction wrought form the Omnic Crisis. Becoming strong enough to compete on a global stage, she had the chance to achieve fame and fortune by smashing world records with her athleticism. When the Siberian Omnium reactivated, she rushed back home to help defend her people from even further destruction.
Zarya has four abilities, which is typical of most MOBA style games. Her abilities are as follows:
1. Particle Cannon: Zarya’s particle cannon can be used in two different ways. If you watch the video, you will notice that by using the left mouse button the particle cannon will emit a beam of energy in front of Zarya that will damage opponents. By clicking the right mouse button, Zarya will instead pop out a bomb that she launches at enemies, dealing AoE damage.
2. Particle Barrier: By pressing shift, Zarya creates a shield around herself. The more damage her shield absorbs, the more amped up her particle cannon becomes.
3. Projected Barrier: Zarya shows that defensive love by projecting a shield onto an ally by pressing E. Similar to her personal particle barrier, the more damage the projected barrier absorbs the more amped up her particle cannon will become.
4. Graviton Surge: Using the Q key on the keyboard, the player activates Zarya’s ultimate ability. The ability acts similar to her right mouse button particle cannon, but can trap and deal damage over time to multiple enemies.
Tips and Tricks for Playing Zarya
Zarya is a tank through and through, able to take a lot of damage before dying. When starting a game, remember her role on the team: to protect her teammates on the front lines while dishing out some decent damage on her own. Zarya is not a defensive player, so she should be played offensively on the front lines. However, her abilities and role keep her from dishing out the damage her offensive teammates will put out. If the player remembers this and works hard to set up opportunities for teammates, she will not only be a good addition to the team but essential for successful team fights.
Some tips for team fights include:
- Keep your high damage dealers and supports covered using a combination of your own body and your shields. As a tank, Zarya will take a beating before falling. If you are on a decent team, your teammates will take advantage of the opportunities Zarya provides to rack up on kills.
- If enemies are attempting to escape from a team fight, your ultimate can be used to hold them in place. This can give your teammates the chance they need to get the killing blow.
- When approaching multiple enemies, you can distract the opposing team by throwing out your AoE attacks. This can draw the attention of the opposing team and give your teammates the chance they need to pick them off, or escape.
Who will she play well with? Zarya can play well with anyone, but she is optimal when paired with people she can protect and keep alive so they can take objectives or get kills.
If you want more information on Overwatch as a whole, click HERE to check out my article showcasing the game.
Zarya’s page on the official Overwatch site can quickly be accessed by clicking HERE